Boards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here are some bands I like...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of The Bolshoi Forum Index -> Other Bands You Like
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Here are some bands I like... Reply with quote

Just to get things started...

I have a few bands I like quite a bit -- and they are pretty varied (ie, not all gothy/rocky like The Bolsh).

I love Shriekback, Progaganda and Men Without Hats. But also high on my list are Love and Rockets, The Sisters of Mercy and Gary Numan.

When it comes to '80s bands, it's almost easier for me to name the bands I don't like, rather than the ones I do. And even now I'm drawing a blank on any major bands I just can't stand.

I used to have more than 2,000 cds, but have pared back to about 600-700 (sold many on E-Bay), and I copied most songs on to my Zen player (no Ipod for me) or computer -- I have nearly 10,000 songs (I didn't copy over every song from every cd because, well, that just wasn't necessary).

I do miss having all those cds sometimes, but when I was able to sell a Depeche Mode promo cd I hadn't listened to in years for about $160, it makes sense.

Okay, enough for now.

Greg
Mask Of Sanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to like mainly 80s-based stuff although I'm quite diverse.

Aside from The Bolshoi, bands I really like include the Eels, James, Soft Cell, OMD, The Cure, Kraftwerk, Talking Heads, Echo & the Bunnymen, Placebo, Jah Wobble, The Creatures, and many more...

As well as a pretty large CD collection I have an eclectic range of stuff on my hard drive ranging from obscure 80s B-sides to 60s psychedelia... I just follow whatever appeals to me, basically.

Aidan
He held a meeting but nobody came"
-THE BOLSHOI
Greg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good bands there -- Placebo is defintely a cool band (Black market Music is especially a great album, though "Pure Morning" is a landmark song). I love James, too. One of the few bands which I think got better as they went along (Pleased to Meet Me and Millionaires being perhaps its best albums, in my eyes).

There haven't been too many new bands I have fallen in love with, unfortunately -- though admittedly I don't keep up on everything as much as I used to.

I have the new Garbage (A+) and Moby (B) and plan to pick up the latest New Order tomorrow.

Greg
Mask Of Sanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Black Market Music is my favorite Placebo album as well, most people tend to prefer the first, but BMM just seems to have something particular that appeals to me.

I personally tend to think James' later albums weren't quite up to the standard of their previous stuff, though that's not to take anything away from them, they're still amazing albums in their own right. I just felt part of the band's dynamic was stripped away after Larry Gott left, not to mention that Tim Booth was losing enthusiasm for the band at this time and only really stayed with them for the other members' courtesy. Nevertheless, despite that I really loved the Whiplash album, their electronic stuff is pretty underrated, while I find it easy to become addicted to the primitive folky sound of the early material on Stutter and Strip-Mine.

I am also rarely attracted by newer bands, although I got to hear The Killers' album at the weekend and am finding them pretty good. British Sea Power are also interesting and I may buy their new CD.

Just bought the Eels' new album today, Blinking Lights and Other Revelations, which is a 33-track double CD. As with all Eels stuff, it'll take a while to catch on with me, but I'm liking the sound so far, Mr. E is an amazingly prolific songwriter.
He held a meeting but nobody came"
-THE BOLSHOI
bubonicbliss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a list of my favourite bands is http://www.angelfire.com/goth/OrchidsDreaming/fav_bands.html

Sorry I'm too lazy at the moment to type it all out. But my 3 absolute top favourite musicians are Edward Ka'Spel, David E. Williams, and Rozz Williams.
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Great list... Reply with quote

Hey bubonicbliss, a great and very thorough list. A couple of random thoughts after seeing it:

- What - no Curve?

- Gary Numan is definitely a fave of mine. I am so happy I was able to catch him live in some of his more recent tours, which were amazing. In my CD collection, Numan holds the honor of having the most -- mainly because he releases so much material (including around 20 live albums!).

- Clan of Xymox was another awesome band it was awesome to see live for the "Twist of Shadows" tour. It wasn't much of a band, with the keyboards and all being the entire band and instruments, but it sounded awesome. Still one of my favorite albums (and they had a lot of good releases and albums, of course).

- Scream For Tina. Awesome band. Short life. Chrysanthemum is a great track, but the whole album is one I love. Listened to it many a drive from L.A. to Vegas years back.

Thanks for sharing the list...

Greg
Alvaro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the list of my favourite bands:
Ultravox, Japan, The Bolshoi, Simple Minds, The Human League (with Ian Craig Marsh and Martyn Ware), Heaven 17, Kraftwerk, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, Pink Floyd, Can, Rush, Roxy Music, Cabaret Voltaire, Front 242, My Bloody Valentine, The Smiths, Bauhaus, Duran Duran, The Fixx, OMD, Visage, Toto, Sigur Rós, Radiohead, Jean Michel Jarre and others.
My favourite solo artists are:
John Foxx, David Sylvian, Peter Murphy, Morrissey.
Others bands but now in Spanish are:
UPA, Soda Stereo, Viena, Aparato Raro, Cinema, GIT, Canal Magdalena.
I love the 80's New Wave and alternative music of the 70's and 80's especially synth-based experimental music. I also like the progressive rock, post-rock, experimental and alternative pop/rock among others rock-based styles.
Dramatica

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: ^^ Reply with quote

Wow some great bands mentioned!
Here's my 2 cents:

Tears For Fears, The Killers, 0rgy
The Damned, Duran Duran, The Cure, Sisters Of Mercy, The Wonderstuff, Roxette, Eagles Of Deathmetal, AFI, HIM, The 69 Eyes, Charon, Naked Eyes, Elliott Smith, Jason Mraz, Elvis, Fuel, Godsmack, Moz, The Smiths,Fischerspooner, Shinedown, Bad Religion, The Offspring and way many more that I'm gonna kick mysled for forgetting!
I just love music!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    World of The Bolshoi Forum Index -> Other Bands You Like All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: