Boards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trevor's New Songs - A Mini Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    World of The Bolshoi Forum Index -> Talk About The Bolshoi
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of Trevor's new songs?
Love the songs. When can I pre-order the CD?
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
I'm undecided. Let me listen to them more.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
I don't want to grow up! Long live The Bolshoi!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Greg

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Trevor's New Songs - A Mini Review Reply with quote

So, have you checked out the three full-length samples of Trevor's songs on his website? Click Here for the page...

Here are my thoughts on "Lemmings," "Fall" and "Wannabee"

As a die-hard fan of The Bolshoi, it's both exhilerating and disappointing to listen to new material from Trevor Tanner. After all, The Bolshoi is long gone, and everyone has moved on -- Trevor can't be expected to try and recapture a sound that he has moved past in the last decade.

Because of that, comparisons aren't fair -- it's much better to look at Trevor Tanner as a solo artist working on a new sound. Sure, you can find similarities in his clever lyrics to his songs of old, but gone is the raw energy and layers of sound that personally made The Bolshoi stand out.

That said, the older, wiser Trevor Tanner is finding his way to a new, more developed sound than was found on his extra tracks on the best of CD "A Way" and parts of his "Bullish, Bellyache and Belch" trio of CDs.

"Fall" and "Lemmings" demonstrate this new sound - a mix of acoustic and electric guitar, strong lyrics and a confident manner. There is a acceptance and respect of age, here -- no putting on an act and trying to relive the glory days (despite what fans may want). This is not music for the masses -- this is music for a small, intimate setting, where people can connect with the artist. Music that works great in headphones at night, with the listener being able to bob his head or tap his fingers to the beat. Very listenable, introspective and mature.

Then there's "Wannabee" -- from the outset, this song sounds like the "single' of the bunch, and that's not necessarily a good thing. Like "Master of the World" and "Mary" from "A Way," the song lacks the depth of a true "arena" song. Maybe it's the mixing, maybe it's the instruments -- something is lacking. Aimless guitar solos don't help, and Trevor's lyrics seem a little less inspired than on the other tracks.

Maybe I'm getting older too, but I think I will be listening to "Fall" and "Lemmings" for a long time, while "Wannabee" may just slip off my playlist before the cd is even released.

Greg
Mask Of Sanity

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, having yet to hear "Bullish, Bellyache & Belch" (my copies of which are on their way to me across the Atlantic right now) I played the samples of these 3 songs, and I'm pretty impressed. Trevor has lost none of the power in his vocal delivery or lyrical style, which work well against the folkier backdrop.

The tunes have caught on with me right away, which is definitely a good thing. I think "Fall" is my favorite out of the three, that would actually be my first choice for a single. I can see what you mean about "Wannabee" in that the sound has a more chilled, lazier feel than The Bolshoi's classic arena-fillers, which would make for a weaker single in part, although I don't think Trevor is really quite aiming for the arena crowds at the moment, and this song has caught on well with me as it is, so I'd still rate it high.

I think it's really good that Trevor is moving on instead of trying to relive the glory days of old, as so many classic 80s artists spend all their time trying to replicate the same sound and styles as the past, and end up in a perpetual time-loop, churning out pretty bland stuff that's only a pale shadow of their old material. But Trevor is doing brilliantly at avoiding falling into that trap and comes across on the new stuff as a highly skilled singer/songwriter, these songs all sparkle with energy and he's lost none of his charisma as a vocalist. Although I do find it rather frustrating that I'll probably never get to see The Bolshoi live in the classic style (being too young at the time means I'll have to miss out on that experience) I will bet that Trevor is equally as good live in the smaller, more intimate settings he plays now, and I hope he tours the UK soon.
He held a meeting but nobody came"
-THE BOLSHOI
The Lizard Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love his new stuff.....being one of very few to ever here it before it was released , because he gave me a burned copy of some of it. Its very soulfull deep and magical. I'm just glad he still has a beautiful voice to sing those beautiful songs with....(he smokes like a chimney stack). And a very stern stage presence , I have to absolutely Force him to smile when I see him play....but sometimes he trys to ignore me...but he can't seem to do that very easily. If you ever see him in person....tell him to show you his 13inch stripper Razz. And when I saw the pic of him in the hat with lil horns I said "omg I'm going to steal it!" he said "noooo my mum made it for me!" lol If you haven't already guessed....I know him in person........and you know...he's very flirty ^_^
TLP
Dramatica

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lizard Princess wrote:
I love his new stuff.....being one of very few to ever here it before it was released , because he gave me a burned copy of some of it. Its very soulfull deep and magical. I'm just glad he still has a beautiful voice to sing those beautiful songs with....(he smokes like a chimney stack). And a very stern stage presence , I have to absolutely Force him to smile when I see him play....but sometimes he trys to ignore me...but he can't seem to do that very easily. If you ever see him in person....tell him to show you his 13inch stripper Razz. And when I saw the pic of him in the hat with lil horns I said "omg I'm going to steal it!" he said "noooo my mum made it for me!" lol If you haven't already guessed....I know him in person........and you know...he's very flirty ^_^
TLP

Very Happy This forum needs all of Gaiaonline's emoticons...
anyhoo, i'm a little confused, is the album actually out?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dramatica

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: X( Reply with quote

ooh wow i don't like lemmings at all... its too pink floyd for me Confused
But i like Fall and Wannabe Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    World of The Bolshoi Forum Index -> Talk About The Bolshoi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: